Monday, February 18, 2013

My First Day!

My first day of school was very interesting to say the least. For starters, the school is small, but the building used to be a hotel. This means that there are a seemingly endless number of staircases and rooms. The first thing you notice when you get to school is how noisy it is. Our school is noisy too, but here all the years pack into their own bathroom/locker space to hang out. This means that to get anywhere you have to push your way through throngs of people. The uniforms of the girls are all green and identical, which mean us American girls stick out like sore thumbs. Our host girls liked to play a game at lunch and see who was staring at us. Several times today I got asked if I went to a different school than the other girls because I was wearing a gray skirt and they were warring plaid skirts. When we told them that we simply had a choice of two different skirts they were pretty surprised. We went to homeroom and then we went up with Ms. O'Brian, the grade coordinator, to arrange our schedules. We started out with the essential classes we needed to keep, such as math, English, and chemistry, and then filled out the rest. I'm taking a classical studies course with Golddy which seems really cool. Ms. O'Brian gave all of us lots of study periods so we can stay up to date on our schoolwork from home. Needless to say I will be spending a lot of time in the Library. Today some of the students were saying what lovely weather they were having because the sun was out, well believe me it was still freezing. Tomorrow I have lots of study periods and pottery ( I'm really excited for that! ) along with P.E. with Alyssa. Next week the students will start their work experience and all of us will go to community care ( community service) in towns! Like real proper jobs where you spend the whole day helping in charity thrift shops and with the disabled. I'm a little worried about that, I'm not always good with talking to complete strangers. We took the dart home today, I really like it. All the Irish girls think we are really funny and loud with our shirt skirts and weird accents. I can't wait for them to come to America so we can show them all about us! Tonight is my last night staying with Rebecca because Cassie gets back from her vacation tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be in another house! Overall today went really well, and I only got lost a few times. By the end of the day I could even find my way back to the locker room with limited wrong turns. Tomorrow should be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment