Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beautiful cemeteries and cold cupcakes

Today I visited one of the beautiful and interesting places I've ever been. For a field trip my class visited the Glasnevin cemetery in northern Dublin. In Glasnevin there are about 1.5 million people buried in their 120 acres. There are more people buried there than living in Dublin today. The size of it is awe inspiring. The headstones were some of the most beautiful and intricate pieces of act I've ever seen. Some very famous Irish statesmen and poets are buried there. However my lack of knowledge in Irish history didn't hold me back from experiencing all their stories. We had a fantastic tour guide who was a wonderful story teller. There were Celtic crosses, angel statutes, simple stone headstones, and amazingly elaborate crypts. The museum was really great. There was an archive of everyone who had ever been buried there. There was also a cool display on all the denominations that were buried there. It was founded to be a place where people of all religions could be buried. The museum also had an interesting bit on grave robbers and body snatchers. At one point, when we were in the poor lot where unmarked graves of people who couldn't afford proper plots were, the guide said that if we dug down, it would only be a foot or two until me hit human remains. Some of the girls were really creeped out, but I loved it. Did I mention that it was -2 degrees today? I only wish I could have stayed out there longer, I might have lost a toe or finger if I had though. I must have taken a hundred pictures, but sadly they are all on my SD card and cannot be transferred to the iPad that I am typing this from. So instead I've attached some pictures form their website so you can see how amazing it is.
We also went into Dun Laoghaire today after school with a group of girls. Dun Laoghaire is only a town or two over from school. We went and hung out with some other kids and I went with Rebecca and her host to Penny's (like forever 21) to get some fancy clothiers for MUN. We also stopped and got cupcakes from a shop on the way which were delicious. But oh man was it cold, Rebecca and I thought we would freeze in the street.
I got to FaceTime with the girls back home today, I really miss them. They all got introduced to Cassie and they went nuts. Cassie is really excited to meet them in person. Tomorrow isn't going to be as awesome as today was but it will still be really cool. I have lots of proper classes tomorrow and hopefully will get more work done.
Until next time!











1 comment:

  1. Great cemetery. It reminds me of one I saw in Scotland. :o) Isn't it amazing how each tombstone is like a work of art? They really have a beauty to them...

    ReplyDelete