Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Caring for the Comminity

Today I had to get the Dart ALONE into Community Care, but everything went smoothly and I had no problems. I had a couple odd jobs to do around the center this morning, which included putting my height to good use by having me reset clocks. Sarah and I also went to the post office and dropped off some books on their behalf. It made a little sad though when Agnes, who I helped yesterday, had completely forgotten who I was. I answered the question "so where are you from" too may times to count. Everyone is really sweet, and they all love talking to Sarah and I. The amazing thing about all the residents is that they all say an entire rosary before they have lunch. One person will take turns leading each mystery, despite many of them not being the best speakers. I had some soup that they served, but not the main meal because I had brought my own sandwiches. The ladies were so nice, they kept asking to make sure that I had enough to eat. After lunch was really fun because we did art today. Everyone sat down and picked a picture to draw, I choose a kitty cat. Most of them choose landscapes, and it was very touching to see how much effort they were putting in. They would ask of they had the right colors and what they could do to make their paintings better. I choose to just do a pencil drawing but most of them used water colors. When I finished my drawing everyone was really nice and complimented it, they wanted to keep it! I didn't get a picture of it, but I will try to take one tomorrow if I can. I really liked the way it turned out. I love drawing, I hope I can draw when I'm old because I made me so happy to see how happy creating and painting made the residents. I hope I am always able to express my vision, some of the residents were restricted with their brushstrokes because of medical problems, but they still gave it their best shot. I wish i could draw them, some of them have such interesting faces and features. Tomorrow the ladies will get their hair done and play bridge. I have no idea how to play bridge, and I don't think I'll be learning any time soon. From what the ladies tell me, they get quite competitive and it can be a very difficult game, even for people who have played for a long time. Whatever happens it will be interesting to see how the day unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment