Saturday, March 9, 2013

The National Gallery

The National Gallery is a beautiful art museum, unfortunately about half of it is under construction so not everything was available to the public. We got to look at come really great Irish painters that I have never heard of. One of my favorite pieces was one that I couldn't take a picture of because it was on loan. It was called For the Road by Jack B. Yeats. It was so beautiful to see in person that I don't think a photo could do it justice. One of the exhibitions there was devoted the sketchbooks of Yeats (who Cassie and I thought was pretty attractive), it was really interesting to see all his scribbles of the world around him. Turns out for a while he lived in Greystones! They had a lot of his paintings there which were really great, I would like to learn more about him. There were a few Rembrandts, a Vermeer, a Picasso, and a few other great pieces as well. Cassie had already visited the gallery with school so she was able to give me information on a few pieces that she remembered form her tour. Every time I go to an art museum I always get a strong feeling that this is what I want to do with my life. Not necessarily create the art in the museum, but be a part of bringing great art to others. There was a man there who was with his three small children in the gallery who would ask them what they could see in the paintings and what they thought. It was so wonderful to hear the opinions of kids who would find something in a painting that I had overlooked. It made me really happy to see them excited about art. In town today Cassie and I kept seeing lots of men in matching hats and scarves, and lots of French people, we couldn't figure out why. It turns out that there is a rugby match today, Ireland vs. France, and it is a pretty big deal. There were so many people on the dart home because the stadium of the match is one of the stops before Greystones. The dart was so full there almost wasn't enough room. I don't know what we are doing tomorrow, but as the day go on I am realizing that my time here is almost done. In a little more than a week I will be back home. The upcoming week will be my last in Ireland, AHHHHHHH.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SOPHOMORE CLASS FOR WINNING BEST CLASS PLAY I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment