Wednesday, March 20, 2013

SAINT PATRICK'S DAY (aka the last day)

*sorry for the late post, I went to bed late and got up early*
St. Patrick's day in Dublin will be a day that I will remember for the rest of my life. It's not just because of the holiday, it's because it was the perfect way to end a perfect trip. It was busy, noisy, crowded, colorful, and beautiful. Cassie and I got up early so we could do our face paint and hair. Cassie painted her entire face the Irish flag, she also put the Irish flag on her lips and eyelids on top of that! So many people came up to her to take pictures of her. I only painted my eyelids, lips, and some shamrocks on my cheeks. I also had a green jumper and an Irish flag around my shoulders. We all looked really patriotic. We got the dart into town, which wasn't that packed because we got an early dart. We went with some of Cassie's friends as well as Alyssa and the New York girls. We all had face paint, flags,and lots of green. Town was packed, everywhere I looked there was people. I heard so many different languages and saw so many ethnicities. Everyone really went all out on the clothing. I only saw a few drunk people, but it was early. We were there for the big parade, but even though we were early we didn't have very good seats. There were so many people we could barely see at first. Gradually, we wiggled our way to places where we could see. It's at times like these when being 6ft tall really comes in handy. The parade was really good, there were lots of American marching bands there. There were some pretty weird floats and costumes, but it was all visually stunning. The best band in my opinion was the band from Purdue. They were huge! They were really excellent. I even saw a few after the parade walking around town. After the parade Cassie and I went to buy my mom a shall from the sweater shop and take one last look around. Did I mention it was pouring rain? Good ol' Dublin. We were going to meet Cassie's parents and grandparents for lunch at a hotel a few streets down. Unfortunately, Cassie and I got quite lost. It didn't matter though, because it gave me one last chance to take in Dublin. Lunch was lovey, and the warm hotel was welcome after being soaked in the rain. When we got home I had to do some final packing before my last dinner. For my last dinner we had chicken fajitas and watched the Voice of Ireland. After dinner the whole family gathered into the living room to watch Skyfall. Skyfall is a great movie, and I loved watching it again. Before I went to bed I had to say goodbye to Cassie's family, because I wouldn't be seeing them in the morning. We planned to wake up early so I could have enough time to check in at the airport. To be honest, I didn't sleep very well. I was up most of the time just thinking back upon my month in Ireland. I walked through all the things I would miss, all the people I wouldn't get to see again, and watched as the hours ticked by. I don't want to leave, but I know I have to.

1 comment: